Labels

Monday 3 December 2012

Benches: 5th Shoot

My aim for this photo shoot was to look at different designs of benches as there are many different kinds situated in the area where I live. I wanted to focus on the little details in the designs of the benches or in their surroundings that make them different from each other.



 

 


















As you can see, I shot the benches in many different ways to match each specific bench for example: In image 63 I chose to get close to the bench so you focus more on the texture of the wood and what's on it rather than the whole design. Whereas I chose to shoot the whole bench in image 91 as I like the composition of the window, door and bench and thought that they complimented each other nicely due to the different levels. I tried using the night time light however, I did not take much liking to this as I like to be able to see more detail in the surroundings and with doing it at night, I did not get that level of detail that I wanted. I didn't really take a shine to images 70-71 as I didn't like the fact that it was a dull concrete bench, it seemed too industrial and plain to me. 



-As the bench was in a very shaded area I increased the exposure to make the bench more visible. I was going to crop the left hand side of the frame but felt as though the bench would be to close to the edge of the frame.









-What caught my eye on this bench was the battered wooden beams as they give the impression that it has been here many years. The initials also added more interest as it shows  that it was made especially for the area.











-I increased the contrast so that the metal of the bench in the foreground was made much darker  than the brightness of the bench in the background. This makes the swirl arm of the bench more prominent.







-I focused on the arm of the bench as I was drawn to the swirl of the metal. I thought that it would be more important to focus on this aspect of the bench as this is the part of it that makes it seem slightly different.







-I increased the clarity to +70 because I wanted the cracks in the wood, highlighted by the frost, to stand out more and to make the whole photo seem more cold and gritty to suit the freezing weather conditions. I also increased the amount of black and contrast to get a dramatic difference in the colour of the wood and the frost.




- This image is more about what's on the bench rather than its design as I initially did not like it due to it's boring, ordinary design. However, when I looked closer I saw how the frost created a harsh, cold effect on the wood and that is why I chose to do a close up.









- This is one of my favourites from this shoot mainly due to the composition of the bench, door and window. I changed the warmth of the colours because I wanted the bench and the church to look quite welcoming. This also brought out the dark browns in the bricks of the church.



No comments:

Post a Comment